An actual update! And more potential disposals.

After 8.5 years of study, including several breaks on medical grounds, and a final mad dash since last friday I finally found out today I am on the pass list and will graduate with a Ph.D. in law next month. That’s the single most intensive thing taking up all my time these past years. Well, that and the kids!

So, I finally have some time to turn my attention to my greatly ignored valve collection. And I have come to a decision. I’ve been swinging between wanting to sell the whole collection and wanting to keep on expanding it. In fits and starts I pulled out a lot of non-CV and non-military valves, many of which went on eBay until their Global Shredding Programme messed things up and I quit.

But in order to further trim the collection I have decided to strip out everything that is not actually CV marked, bar a few specials like the RELs and some of the 1B series. So, up for grabs will be all the UK military stuff that is not CV marked. Bearing in mind eBay is not really an option now I am open to offers on any or all. Do get in touch if you are interested in any.

There are a few oddments which are not up for grabs, like the parametric amplifier tube, and the REL stuff as I mentioned. But equally there is some very interesting, and in some cases old stuff in the collection which will be available.

I’ve no idea if anyone even reads these posts and so I will also be offering some around where I know there is interest. So be quick!

EchoLink

(this is a re-write of my original post to tidy it up)

I signed up to EchoLink today and installed EchoMac, a Mac version of the software. I have yet to play with this other than making calls to the *ECHOTEST* conference – a self-test facility like you get in Skype.

Getting the software to communicate was a bit of a fiddle, through no fault of the software or EchoLink. First off, the home router needs to be able to pass UDP ports 5198 and 5199 in both directions to the Mac, and port 5200 TCP outgoing. The information is here http://www.echolink.org/firewall_solutions.htm. By default everything incoming is off other than a few rules that I have for the web servers. So I had to enable this. The Sky router I have can be a pain here because more often than not, pressing Apply to save firewall rules gives a ‘not found’ error and it seems to want several goes before it works. No idea why that should be, surely the script is either there or not, not there sometimes! Anyway, I got the rules in. Note on the Sky router you need to first define a Service for those UDP ports, then select that service for the firewall rule.

But it still did not connect. Over to the Mac firewall which was already switched on. Not sure I did this, maybe the latest software update sets it by default. Anyway, here I needed to select EchoMac and allow it to accept incoming connections. It seems I also needed to reload EchoMac to make this work, so I guess the firewall only permits an application when it loads, not if it is already loaded, which makes sense.

There are still connection issues though. I can connect more reliably if I chose the Sky router as the wifi hub. Every test so far when connected to my main hub results in no connection for EchoHam, but switching to the Sky router wifi and it usually works. I say usually, because if I connect to the Sky box and load EchoHam it works, but then if I unload EchoHam, switch to the other wifi hub and reload EchoHam it still works. But not always! I’m sure this is a fault of my own security because I can get it to connect, just not always first time.

 

Sulking rigs

I think my shack was sulking tonight as I’d not played for two days. First the tuner played up and then the PC would not see the SignaLink. Running lsusb showed it to be missing. I could not reach round to replug the USB cable so rebooted the PC instead. Now it showed it but wsjtx-x could not. Checking the config wsjt-x had reverted to the internal sound card. I’m guessing that running it with the USB missing did that.

Or they really were sulking!

Oh yes and then 20m is completely dead. Trying 40…

 

Google cloud

There is a story about how Google blocked access to a load of documents in their cloud provision because an automated check determined they are in breach of Google’s terms of service. Of course, everyone reads these don’t they (actually they are written in a fairly easy to understand language unlike many, so no excuse really)

But my interest here is how Google (or any such provider) can protect itself given it can automatically check stuff in the cloud. If something got to court I wonder if a judge would request that Google somehow prove that it did not know a given document was illegal, and how it could prove this.